As one of our first projects to evaluate the capabilities of OutSystems we decided to develop a catalogue of car parts.
The case was selected due to the complex nature of data structure when one part can fit multiple cars, depending on the make, model, year, trim and engine.
The structure also includes an additional set of filters based on the group and subgroup of the parts for the selected vehicle.
Thanks to utilizing OutSystems, we could deliver the application in a mere 40 hours spent by just one business analyst, which is significantly faster and cheaper, compared to traditional web development. This includes project setup, development of the administrative CMS and client-facing catalog.
Below you can view and try what we got as the result of just 40 hours’ work.
After this project we identified the following main advantages of using OutSystems for such development. They are:
- All general functionality like login, users and roles, etc. are working right out of the box and do not require additional effort except for setting up the access rules on a page or action level.
- The OutSystems AI Assistant allows to dramatically increase the speed of development.
- Free for up to 100 end-users (it is likely to have just a few administrators for such a system so the limit seems reasonable enough).
- Free OutSystems Cloud hosting (up to 2GB). In case more storage is needed, OutSystems can connect to an external database, which may require developer effort or a paid OutSystems plan may be used.
There are only two visible downsides:
- In case the app is not used for a long period of time, it will get shut down by OutSystems.
- If the app grows above the free limits, OutSystems licensing is quite pricey (starting at $4,000 per month).
Obviously, it makes sense to try OutSystems due to the extremely short time to market with low investments at the start.
If you’d like to learn about our findings on OutSystems, please stay tuned for our next post focused on more complex projects we developed with the help of this low-code platform.
Please contact us for more information or a quote!